Help Support Coffee Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. We need your help! If we enjoy Coffee Forum please consider making a small donation, anything helps! Click here to Donate to Coffee Forum today! $5, $10, anything helps!

Storage

Discussion in 'Beans & Grinds' started by Jspence1, Apr 7, 2010.

1. MyCoffeePro

MyCoffeePro New Member

While I don't agree with everything Matias is saying ... I have my own theory from being in the industry for so long and working at several roasteries.

I believe that marketing and aroma are definitely part of the equation, but I also think it could be a sort of ignorance on the store's marketing or research team that probably had someone checkout roasters and see how they handle their fresh roasted coffee.

Roasters usually keep the beans in an open air container for 24 to 48 hours, depending on the bean/roast, so that the beans can "de-gas". If you don't give the beans time to de-gas and you seal them in a container, that gas can actually cause the beans to become more bitter or acidic.

My theory is that "researchers" from grocery stores have seen the freshly roasted beans in open containers and figured "Well, these are the professionals and it's how they store it" ... not realizing that they've only seen part of the process. But I could be wrong.

The last roastery that I worked at, CaffeCalabria.com, would give tours of our facility (and we had a cafe attached to it) and we would get that question all the time ... "why do you guys have the beans out in the open?" ... answer, because all the beans you see here are fresh roasted and must de-gas, but if you look over here, we have all the beans in closed containers because they've already properly de-gassed.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. costaricacoffee

costaricacoffee New Member

Mycoffeepro, you are giving too much benefit of the doubt to supermarkets. The coffee in the bins spends days there, after it was roasted, much longer than the de-gassing period.

Wholefoods certainly knows how to market food and its appearance, they are the masters at that. So, i am pretty sure there is no accident there.

Also, most supermarket chains use bins and equipment supplied by coffee companies, so there is hardly any chance that a coffee company will not know the damage done by exposing it to oxygen.

3. MyCoffeePro

MyCoffeePro New Member

... and therein belies part of the problem potentially ... with the coffee supplier, not necessarily with the grocery. We only supplied coffee to a few supermarkets, but when we did so, we insisted that they used closed containers and that the coffee be swapped out twice a week by one of our delivery drivers. We took the responsibility regarding our branded product.

4. costaricacoffee

Good, i am glad you worked for honest companies. As i said in our first exchange, too much wrong is done to coffee for the sake of convenience and mktg.

I went to NC earlier in the year to train the staff of a coffee shop that we supply and was amazed at how little Americans knew about coffee. I think that is the way to go, educate the consumer who can then demand better standards from outlets.

If somebody refuses to buy coffee because it is in a bin, and let the management know, the supermarket will probably pay attention.

Keep in touch!

5. MyCoffeePro

MyCoffeePro New Member

Good point Matias :)

I must admit that when I first started in the coffee biz, I worked for a 1 pound batch roaster, who also flavored all their coffees and we had them in open air bins all day, then put lids on them at night ... the ONLY reason we did it was because we were in a mall and people would literally follow the smell from the other end of the mall to find us; or ask other stores where that wonderful aroma was coming from. The store made lots of money, go figure.

I had no idea to know any better at the time (I was 18) how destructive it was to the beans ... but then again, we soaked them in chemical flavorings before they even cooled!

I would be horrified now to walk into such a store ... my Mom on the other hand, wishes I still worked there! LOL. She loves her flavored coffee! I think it's a Midwest thing ;-)

6. costaricacoffee

I understand the feeling, same situation when i have to tell people that my wife nor daughters drink coffee. Oooops!

7. wide_palate

wide_palate New Member

I usualy just buy the 12oz ground packs.Always check to make sure it has a decent seal(air tight or close enough to it) when I buy.I keep them in my closet that has a cabinet.Its empty & has about the right temp & humidity for coffee.After I break the seal,I put them in a good ziplock.
    I read about this somewhere:
    Never store coffee in the fridge.Medium dark-darkest roasts & flavored coffee should never go in the freezer.

8. Spyder

Spyder New Member

How do I store ground coffee? In the compost bin because that's the only place ground coffee ends up right after brewing. Coffee should NEVER be ground ahead of time for any reason.

9. infinyte00

infinyte00 New Member

I have been told many times to never store coffee in the refrigerator or freezer. So instead, I store it in an air-tight sealed jar in my cupboard. Oh, and I don't grind my beans until I'm ready to brew some! Cheers!

10. RNDDUDE

RNDDUDE New Member

Someone gifted me a tall copper cylindrical container with a tight sealing lid designed to store standard -length spaghetti/linguine, which was attractive, but I never used it for that. Then one day I discovered that it would hold a bit more that one pound of whole beans perfectly, and the lid sealed it nicely. Now it sits next to my Jura and looks & works great. The only problem is the engraved placard on it that says "pasta"....

sorta like this...http://www.coppershop.co.za/gallery/showproduct.php?product=242&cat=1

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  11. bigmike787

bigmike787 New Member

The guys over on CoffeeGeek did a huge experiment involving freezing coffee. The results were basically that there is no noticeable difference between coffee that was frozen and coffee that was ground/brewed that week. There were some important findings though. Your container has to be air tight, because moisture is the #1 killer of frozen coffee. It's not enough to just put it in a ziplock bag. The coffee in the experiement was vac sealed to get all the air/moisture out. The second thing was that you had to allow the coffee to defrost before grinding/brewing. So there is a bit of information on freezing coffee. Of course if your coffee is stale, then it's stale. Freezing or not will not help it. If it's already ground when you buy it, then it's already stale when you use it. If your whole bean coffee has a 'Use by' date on it, then it is most likely already stale also. You need a 'Roasted on' date, not a 'Use by' date.

12. Admin

Admin Administrator

13. MyCoffeePro

MyCoffeePro New Member

Can you point me to the research on coffeegeek.com? I tried using their search and couldn't find it.

14. bigmike787

bigmike787 New Member

It's actually on homebarista.com. Just pull up the search feature and type in 'freezing coffee' and it will pull it up.

15. MyCoffeePro

MyCoffeePro New Member

nope, that's just a big ad page

16. MyCoffeePro

MyCoffeePro New Member

ah, the dash was missing from the first link you posted :)

17. Stryker777

Stryker777 Member

I remember my first post in this thread. At that time I was not even roasting my own. Since then, I have been through a whirly style roaster, on an open fire outside, and now to an indoor roaster.

I can't handle old coffee and grinding it starts the horrible process immediately. In just a couple hours I can taste the difference. That is why I now roast 4 days worth at a time and grind before each cup in a Baratza burr mill grinder.

If I am traveling, I take a Hario Skerton with the lower bearing modification. It is worth it to spend 3 minutes hand grinding for a good cup. I use it in a french press so I can have a better brew than a hotel coffee maker.

I can not see a reason to ever store or freeze ground coffee or freeze beans. If time is going to be limited, or traveling, and I can't roast for a week or so, I pack the beans in small vacuum seal bags and open one every few days. After opening, I keep my beans in a small mason jar.

Fresh coffee is worth the process.

18. laura541

laura541 New Member

If you can’t brew them within the optimum time put your beans in the freezer.
    Keep them in an airtight, dark container. Avoid sunlight. Avoid heat. Avoid steam. Avoid moisture.
    Within 72 hours after being roasted coffee beans have reached their maximum or peak of freshness, so use them as quickly as possible.

19. thanhdaba

thanhdaba New Member

I bought one of those "seal-a-meal" vacuum contraptions, and it worked great. Unfortunately, my son also thought it was great and he "borrowed" it a few years ago...that was the last time I saw it! I guess I need to bite the bullet and pick up another one. Who knows, maybe my daughter will decide to borrow the new one?
    At least buy, if you don't already own; a food saver or seal-a-meal and vacuum seal your coffee. No moisture, little oxygen, it will stay fresher in the frig.
    -------------------------------
    Đào Nữ An hỗ trợ tăng vòng 1 và chống ngực chảy xệ. Sản phẩm đã được kiểm chứng và sản xuất theo quy trình nghiêm ngặt nên rất an toàn và hiệu quả cho người sử dụng